Want to be a Linux admin? Start here.
August 08, 2009
This collection of links originally appeared on my consulting website. If you are a developer new to using Linux or Unix systems these guides will probably come in handy at some point. Enjoy.
- Learning the shell - everything you need to know to get up and running with Linux as a power user or administrator
- Useful commands for the command line - how to get around the system
- Advanced Bash Scripting Guide - for those times when you would rather script an activity
- VIM editor cheat sheet - Instructions on using the powerful "vim" (vi, iMproved) editor that ships with Unix & Linux (use nano if you do not like vi)
- Another Vi/Vim overview - The ins & outs of editing text files the advanced way
- How to be a good and lazy (Linux) system administrator - An entertaining read about approaches to system management